Sunday, June 17, 2007

MamaDramaConQueso

What a fun day! In reading some of the posts from others who attended, it was reassuring for me to read that I wasn't the only one who had to step out of my comfort zone to go. I'm proud of myself (and anyone else who was nervous) for going anyway. I've found it to be really difficult to make friends as an adult. I've made a few new friends here and there, but since moving to Houston five years ago, I just really haven't made any close friends. I really believe that growing up in a small town has something to do with it. You have all these built in friends who you've grown up with, and you don't have to put yourself out there and meet new people and make new friends. So meeting new people sometimes feels really awkward. Also? I'm lazy. So that might also be a factor.

I can't tell you how glad I am that I decided to go yesterday. I met so many really cool women, who I can't wait to get to know better through their blogs and future events (if any of you are reading this...Hello! Rock on with your bad selves!) The conversation was lively and hysterical. It was also enlightening (pasta, diapers and fur? Oh my!) It just goes to show that it really pays to step outside of your comfort zone. No offense HGTV, but it was even more fun than staying home watching Design on a Dime.

I'm just sort of dipping my toes into this whole blogging community, and I can't tell you how grateful I am that so many people have been so gracious and made me feel so welcome. I hope that this blog (and my writing) will evolve into something a little more interesting. I used to really think I was an intelligent person (Hello? I was in Gifted and Talented dammit!), but reading so many hilarious, insightful blogs have made me realize that I'm not nearly as smart as I thought I was. (I also used to think I was outgoing, but apparently I'm a socially retarded hermit since giving birth.) Effing internet! Robbing me of my self worth post by post! Anyway, I used to be a better writer than I am today. I sort of treat my blog like a personal journal, where I don't proofread and I don't take much time to plan. I hope to take more time in the future and really improve and write about more interesting things.

Again, so great to meet all of you who braved the storms and made it out yesterday for lunch. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures. I am already looking forward to next time.

9 comments:

TxGambit said...

I didn't take pics either. I just wasn't sure about bringing my camera. Would people think I was weird? I'm soooo glad so many did take pics!

It was great to meet you and if you ever want to get together. Just give me a shout and we can do something.

Rock on! (and yeah, I'm still giggling a bit at the whole pasta talk)

Julie Pippert said...

Ed T took some nice photos and others are putting theirs up soon. Ed has a link on the mamadrama site in the comments.

It was fantastic to meet you! Kyla is sort of in the middle of you and me and we'll have to do lunch sometime.

I hope you have begun answering your phone, "Meooowwww." LOL

Jessica said...

Thanks ladies! So great to meet everyone! We will definitely have to get together and do lunch.

Julie-I'm not really a cat person (totally allergic), so in an effort to make it my own, I'm now barking when I answer my phone. Isn't that hot? I can't believe how hip I am!

Anonymous said...

Hey I was in gifted and talented and am now socially retarded! Whenever you get your lunch together I want an invite and I promise not to get too drunk this time.

PS. There will be more pictures on MamaDrama tomorrow including a cute one of you.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

pasta, diapers and fur??? Crap, our table talked about Violet starting a blog at college and Catazon's derby injuries....

Can't wait to talk more!!! Am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone too. I mean, next time, I figure more new people will come but we will NOT be strangers to each other. Whew....

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

p.s. - Your picture is NOT painful. I only wish mine was 1/10th as good.

Jessica said...

Jenny-I swear we are kindred spirits: small towns, Rams and GT. I didn't even get to talk to you much, so no telling what we will discover next! You will most certainly be invited. Any friend of Roosta is a friend of mine! LOL ;)

Margaret-You can't imagine how entertaining the conversation was. I couldn't possibly do it justice if I were to sum it up. Ask Laura for the cliff notes version...you won't be disappointed!! Also, you are a terrible liar, but thank you for the compliment! Yours is great...where was it taken?

Kyla said...

Oooh! I'm A GT-er, too. *lol* The Internet really does attract the geeks, eh? I mean that in the best possible way, because I myself am a member that geeky group. :)

I'm cracking up at Julie's "Meooowwww." comment. Too funny. And I am totally in for lunch sometime.

It was great meeting you!

Jessica said...

Kyla-Too funny! This is like a GT convention. No offense taken...I've learned to embrace my geekiness! Great to meet you, too!